The X5 mini Wifi uses the ESP8266 module to provide web control to the board. Module communicates to the main board using UART (Tx/Rx).
# Wifi Modes --------------------------------
The X5 mini Wifi uses 2 modes for its Wifi connection.
Access point (AP mode) - This mode turns the ESP wifi module into an access point and be able to accept client connections and provide IP address via DHCP. This mode allows your Phone, Tablet or PC to connect to the X5 mini directly using wifi. This is useful during initial set up to connect the X5 mini to your network or when you want your machine to be on stand alone mode ( when showing off machine or in a trade show/classroom). Wifi module will automatically turn on this mode when it cannot find any known Wifi networks. Default SSID is X5mWifi.
Client Station - This mode is selected when connecting your X5 mini Wifi board to your home or office wifi network. This will allow you to search for available Wifi networks and join them. Wifi module revert back to AP mode if it cannot connect to previously configured Wifi network.
# Connect using AP mode --------------------
Upon initial power on the Wifi Module is set up for AP mode, this allows you to directly connect to your X5 mini Wifi using any smartphone, Tablet or PC with Wifi. You can also change the mode to Client Station (to connect to your Wifi network) by using the web control setup.
1. Power on the board - Wait for 15 seconds for Wifi module to initialize AP mode.
2. Open your Smartphone, Tablet or PCs Wifi and look for SSID named "x5mwifi". Connect to it using password 12345678
3. Open a browser and the captive portal should automatically redirect you to the main web control page. For IOS devices wait for the captive portal to redirect, no need to open any browser. If captive portal fails to redirect, open a browser and point to 192.168.0.1
4. You should see the main web control page at this stage and be able to control the printer. Formatting may be different than shown, small screen devices will re-arrange the windows.
# Connect using Client Station mode --------------------
Changing from AP mode to Client station mode allows you connect your X5 mini Wifi to your home or office Wifi network. Follow steps for AP mode above then proceed to the instructions below.
1. For a quick and guided setup click on the blue circle with the "i" then click setup, if you are familiar with configuring Wireless networks click on the tab that says "ESP3D" for more options.
2. Clicking on the blue circle then clicking "SETUP" will take you to this window. Click Start Setup..
3. Click Continue on this page
4, Change the ESP role to Client Station. Then Click SET.
5. Click on the Magnifying glass icon then select your home/office wifi. Click SET. Enter your password to join your Wifi network then click SET. Click Continue when done.
6. Do not change anything on this page and click Continue.
7. Setup is done and you may now reset the X5 mini Wifi. If everything is setup correctly your board will now be connected to your network.
# Accessing the web control main page --------------------
You can access the web control page in your browrser by typing the assigned IP address for the wifi module. This can be found by opening your routers control page and looking up DHCP assignments. Alternatively you can type in the host name on your browser to search for the X5 mini Wifi (may not work for all operating systems)
http://x5mwifi or click this link
You can change this to any name you want and is found under "Hostname". Default is X5mwifi
# Connect using Client Station mode (for advanced users)--------------------
For more options in initially configuring your board's wireless network, you can skip the guided setup and click on the TAB "ESP3D". This will take you to all the available network settings for the Wifi Module. Make sure you are familiar with the settings before changing them.
Click on SET to save the changes. Restart the board to apply the new settings.